How to Make a DIY Lotion at Home
I have always loved the soft feel of my skin and the smell after lotion application.I could never go anywhere without hand lotion especially the scented one. I never minded spending money on different kinds of lotions.
Then I started wondering how they were made and decided to try making some lotion for myself at home. I got my nice surprise when I found out that moisturizer or lotion is made with simple emulsion of oil and water. It is so easy and very cheap to make your own lotion at home.
I am about to teach you how to make your own lotion or moisturizer at home. We will start with basic unscented lotion or moisturizer. It doesn’t really take time to do it and all ingredients will most definitely be available in your kitchen. Let us go!
I started with a plain and unscented lotion. By the way the lotion is good for babies or people who don’t like scents or are allergic to scents. Below is the recipe of how to make the plain unscented lotion at home I started with.
½ Cup Olive Oil
1 ½ Cup of water
½ Cup Emulsifying-Wax
2 Measuring cups (Big and small)
Large sauce pan
1. Mix wax and oil using a small measuring cup.
2. Fill pan with water and heat on medium heat.
4. Boil water-1 1/2 cups and add the melted mixture of wax and oil. Your lotion should now look milky or cloudy.
5. Pour the lotion on the container of your choice whilst warm, before it hardens.
6. Leave the lotion to cool before use.
The lotion I am going to make at home is light, natural and silky. The DIY lotion absorbs into your skin well leaving it supple and non-greasy. It has a sweet smell as well. The DIY lotion at home is good for the whole family as well as the baby.
1 cup of Aloe Vera Juice
1/8 cup of Beeswax
1/4 cup of Olive Oil
2 T Lavender
1 t of Vitamin E Oil
4 drops of Lemon Essential Oil
1. Boil water in a large sauce pan.
3. Take the jar and melt in the sauce pan.
4. Take a second jar and pour aloe vera juice and heat up in the sauce pan as well.
6. Pour in the heated aloe vera juice into your melted wax mixture and stir very thoroughly. You have a choice of using a blender to mix it up.
7. Let the cream cool down a bit and then add the essential oil and vitamin E oil.
8. Keep stirring. Pour you cream in a nice container and enjoy!!!
½ cup of Coconut Oil
¼ cup of Rosewater
1. Heat the beeswax slowly in a double boiler.
2. Add almond oil to the melted beeswax.
3. Stir in coconut oil, mix in rosewater and then mix all thoroughly.
4. Pour the lotion in your chosen container whilst hot as it will harden.
• Take 1 cup of fresh rose petals and simmer in 1 ½ cup of water for 15 minutes.
• Strain the flowers from the water.
If you don’t want to make your rose water, you can buy already made one at pharmacies, beauty stores or even online. My recommendation is Shea Terra Organics rosewater and Elma and Sana organics Rose Water available at www.Amazon.com and costs less than $13.00 and both.